Oatmeal Scones

Posted by Chef Penny | Posted in , , | Posted on 7:06 PM

Yes...I am using up the buttermilk and then it's done! What better way to use buttermilk than to make scones. One of my favorite foods because they can be sweet or savory- BRILLIANT! Here is a random recipe I found trying to use up other ingredients I had in my house like whole wheat pastry flour! It's much lighter than regular whole wheat flour so it doesn't taste so dense and wheat-y. I'm sure you could substitute all purpose flour, but I haven't look up the conversion.

Recipe:
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups whole wheat PASTRY flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (or more like i added)
2 cups oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
2/3 cup+1/4 cup buttermilk (plus more for brushing on top)
raw sugar for sprinkling on top

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375*. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Cut (i used a kitchen aid, but I usually use my hands) in butter until mixture becomes uniformly crumbly. Stir in oats. Add buttermilk and mix gently until a soft dough begins to cling together. Once mixed, put onto a baking sheet in balls. Make your own size! It's fun! Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle on raw sugar. Bake until golden brown and firm when pressed lightly in the center.

*to make less sweet, add 2/3 brown sugar instead
* you can add dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, or anything else you want to!

Remember, this is whole wheat pastry flour, so the product will have a different taste if you aren't used to eating wheat pastries, so you may wanna keep in the sugar to counterbalance the taste! Your choice! Either way, they are delicious warm with some butter. I say that about all scones though :) Enjoy!!!


Comments (0)

Post a Comment