Chocolate Stout Cake

Posted by Chef Penny | Posted in , , , | Posted on 12:51 PM

Sounds interesting huh? That's what I thought. I LOVE dark beer and I thought what a brilliant idea to put beer, chocolate, and a bit of coffee together! I found this recipe in the October 2009 Bon Appetit and thought it was very fitting that 1) it was guinness' 250th bday and 2) it's oktoberfest!!! I didn't use guinness though. I found an Ohio brewed stout called Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes Brewing Co. The description on the bottle was "porter combines a complex, roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste". It was perfect for this recipe, which also uses dark chocolate and coffee. The recipe can be found at epicurious.com, one of my favorite websites! However, I have a problem with not stocking enough ingredients in my house so I had to alter the recipe. Instead of 14 T of butter (198 g) I used about 166 g and the rest vegetable oil. Also, for the frosting I didn't have 1 lb of bittersweet chocolate, so I used about 13 oz of bittersweet, 1 oz unsweetened, and 2 oz milk chocolate. I also didn't have instant espresso so I used 1tsp of coffee extract! The cake seemed to turn out just great, so I don't think my changes made a huge difference. Try it for yourself and I don't think you'll be dissapointed!








Comments (0)

Post a Comment