Mushroom Soup

Posted by Chef Penny | Posted in , | Posted on 10:54 AM

With the weather changing, oh and having a plethora of mushrooms in the house, I decided to come up with a mushroom soup recipe to warm me up! (and something I can eat!!) I looked at a bunch of recipes, but after doing that I decided to combine a bunch of them and make my own. Here is what I did cause sometimes when I cook I don't measure too well :)

I started with approximately 2 T butter and melted it in a stock pot. Once bubbling I added 1 chopped shallot, 3 chopped garlic cloves, and the white part of a leek chopped. I sauteed them til golden brown. Then I added 10 oz chopped crimini (baby bella) mushrooms sliced, and 5 oz shitake sliced. I cooked them for maybe 5 minutes and then I added a box (32 fl oz) of vegetable stock along with 2 tsp dried thyme. I then let it simmer for almost 20 minutes and then added about 1/2 (approx- maybe more. Depends on how creamy you want it) cup skim milk/cream/half and half (i used what I had in the house!) Then I made a slurry (a mixture of water and a thickening agent) using 1 tsp tapioca starch (can use corn starch or flour) and 1 T water. The reason you mix this first is so it doesn't clump in the soup. Then slowly add it to the soup while stirring. The soup then simmers a bit more and you will see it thicken. You may need more of this slurry depending on how thick you want your soup. Once fragrant or tastes enough like mushrooms (and this is up to you as well) then turn off the heat and mix it with an immersion blender, or you can use a blender just be careful because it's HOT!!!! Add salt, pepper, and spices to your taste and Voila! To present it, I whipped some heavy cream, made a quenelle (food item in the shape of an oval or egg) and topped it with thyme. I wish I could explain how to make a quenelle but it's difficult. Find it on an online video or something :) Oh and enjoy the soup- I did!



Comments (0)

Post a Comment