Chocolate Buttermilk Brownies

Posted by Chef Penny | Posted in , , | Posted on 7:23 AM

I apologize for such a long break! Like I mentioned I went out of town with my boyfriend and he loved the cookies and we had a nice time! And then Monday I had to work another 4 am shift...but I'm back in action :)

I still have buttermilk left, and after this recipe I'll prolly still have more left! I don't know why I bought such a big container! But it's fun cause I'm learning what buttermilk goes with. I love making scones, so that will probably be next!

Anyway, this recipe is close to a basic brownie recipe, but it has some buttermilk in it. Also, it's more cake like than a brownie that is chewy or fudgy!

Recipe:
1 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (i used extra dark)
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Begin by bringing butter, cocoa powder, and water to a boil. While that is going, butter and flour a 15x10 in pan. I used Pam with flour, but the way you butter and flour a pan is this. Using melted butter that has been cooled or softened butter is easiest. Butter the pan as you normally would (I use my fingers). Put some flour in the pan and roll is around to cover it all. The tap into the garbage can or sink ALL of the flour. The flour layer should be VERY thin! Excess flour is not good. Once boiled, bring that mixture to cool. Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and soda. Mix eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour cocoa mixture over dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour liquid over that and mix well. I used a whisk for all of this. No need to bring out the fancy machines for this one! Then pour into prepared pan and do not over bake. Start at 20 minutes and then watch carefully.

For the frosting, if the butter is at room temperature just whisk all of the ingredients together and spread on brownies. If not, melt the butter with the cocoa powder and buttermilk. Add the sugar and vanilla. Then pour over brownies.

Since I used dark cocoa mine have a strange color. However, the taste must be delicious because the people I gave them to have raved about it!



Comments (0)

Post a Comment